Thursday, December 1, 2016

Book Review: This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1) by Victoria Schwab

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: July 5, 2016
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
427 Pages

There’s no such thing as safe.

Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father. After five years and six boarding schools, she’s finally going home to prove that she can be.

August Flynn wants to be human. But he isn’t. He’s a monster, one that can steal souls with a song. He’s one of the three most powerful monsters in a city overrun with them. His own father’s secret weapon.

Their city is divided.

Their city is crumbling.

Kate and August are the only two who see both sides, the only two who could do something.

But how do you decide to be a hero or a villain when it’s hard to tell which is which?




Monsters, monsters, big and small,
They're gonna come and eat you all.

Imagine living in a world where the things that go bump in the night actually exist. That's This Savage Song. Monsters are real and they live among us. In fact, they exist because of us. They are our shadows born of evil deeds and have divided a city. On one side you can live with the monsters and you will be safe as long as you have the protection of Harker. On the other side, is Flynn domain - the resistance so to speak. They don't allow the monsters on their side (there's an exception) and are basically trying to make the world a better place.

Corsai, Corsai, tooth and claw,
Shadow and bone will eat you raw.

There are three types of monsters: the Corsai, the Malchai, and the Sunai. Basically the Corsai and the Malchai are evil. The Sunai, not so much. While the city is overrun by Corsai and Malchai, there are only three Sunai in existence and they live with the Flynns (see? exception). For the most part they cannot die but are able to kill the other monsters. Leo, Isla, and one of our MC's, August make up the Sunai.

Malchai, Malchai, sharp and sly,
Smile and bite and drink you dry.

So I don't know if it was just me, but I found this book...dull? Confusing? I don't know. I have very mixed feelings about this one. I liked it but I didn't at the same time. I felt that the world and the monsters weren't well explained. I just didn't get it. Maybe I missed the part where she really explained just exactly how the Corsai and Malchai are made. But I just have so many questions about the validity of this world!

Then there were the characters. I wasn't too fond of Kate. The whole book she was pretending to be someone she's not just to get approval from her father. But because of this it was hard to get to know her. Then with August, he was just like this little puppy monster thing. He was a monster (technically) but wanted to be a puppy...sorry, human. He was at least interesting because of the monster part, but take that away and he would have just been boring.

The side characters were predictable - with the exception of Isla, who seems to be the most interesting person/monster/thing in this book and I'm hoping that Schwab includes much more of her in the second book.

Sunai, Sunai, eyes like coal,
Sing you a song and steal your soul.

I realize as I write this that it seems like I should have rated it lower than 3 stars, but I did really like the writing style of Schwab. The world she created was interesting, the plot made me want to know more. I just feel like it wasn't seen through. I didn't get that immersion in a book that I wanted. And I wish it wasn't so predictable. 

 



No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me