Wednesday, July 17, 2013

ARC Review: Of Triton (Of Poseidon #2) by Anna Banks

The blurb as seen on Goodreads:
Release Date: May 28, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
246 Pages

In this sequel to OF POSEIDON, Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half- Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?



I'm hesitant to say that I enjoyed Of Triton. I did, to a certain extent. But the story stretched beyond my imagination and made it's way into the bizarre. It's an interesting book that's plot derailed a bit too much for my taste. I think it's a book that a lot of people will enjoy, but it's also a book that a lot of people could dislike. My opinion of it lay somewhere in the middle.

The story begins just after the end of Of Poseidon. Emma's mom has taken her away from Galen and from the truth of their past. According to Syrena law, Emma should be put to death and her mother should marry Galen's older brother. She struggles to come to terms with all of the changes around her, while the mermaid clans are at each others' throats. Galen begs her to stay safe and think of only herself, but how can she think of just herself when she could be the key to reuniting the clans?

This felt more like a guilty pleasure because as I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but ask myself, "What is it about you that I makes me like you?" Is it the absolutely gorgeous cover? Let's be honest. That's probably it. I'm new to the mermaid scene, so I'm still getting onboard with the talking and breathing underwater and the magic powers and the talking to fish. So when, at one point in the novel, Emma comes in with her horde of fish, my eyebrows met my hairline and I awkward snorted into my tea.

The attitudes of the characters were better this time around, though there were still times where I wanted to bash some heads together. There has been some development since the start of this series, but not enough to really warrant them as favorite characters. There is still a lack of maturity that bothers me, and some sexist tendencies that really annoyed me. Some of the romances had endearing moments, but other parts showed the overbearing men showing the feeble women how dominant they are. "Woman… Shh… The men are talking. Go make me a sandwich." I get that this is how the author wanted the society to be portrayed, but it didn't make the characters any less angering.

Of Triton is very short, yet I found myself able to put it down and pick it back up hours later. It just loses focus somewhere down the line. The plot really isn't as strong as it could be. This is a good book, but it's not a great book--though it had a lot of potential. I think this is another book that could've used a good expansion and dug further into the story. The series really could end with this book, but I've seen that there is another. I'm curious to know what Banks plans to do in Of Neptune, so it's safe to say I'll be reading it. I'm not a huge fan of this series, but it has piqued my curiosity and now I just need to know how it is going to end.
I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review.

4 comments :

  1. I didn't really enjoy Of Poseidon, I'm also not really on the mermaid bandwagon so maybe that was it? But I just couldn't find it believable at all. I think I will be skipping Of Triton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't feeling this one, either. Makes me wonder if I re-read Of Poseidon, would I still even like it? I agree...this one really went off on a tangent and it lost me somewhere along the way. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about it before but you're right about how this could end the series. I have no idea where Of Neptune could go but I'm sure there'll be some sort of super happy ending 'cause that's just how YA goes. But I really loved both books, I love the characters though they don't develop much. Not that there's any time for them to do so, considering the small time frame involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I think I'll hold off on reading this series for now. Thanks for your honest review!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Santa Monica paper pack by Mally Mac and Me